DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENTS
Are You Looking for Personal Injury
lawyers in lafayette?
DON’T DELAY! CALL CLAY
Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious problem on American roads. In fact, consumption of alcohol is responsible for 40 percent of all traffic fatalities. Fortunately, these deaths have reduced significantly in the last three decades.
How Alcohol Impacts Driving Ability
Driving requires sharp reflexes while alcohol is a substance that impairs thinking capacity, reasoning, and muscle coordination. All these faculties are crucial for operating a vehicle safely. When alcohol is consumed, it is usually absorbed through the walls of the stomach, passing into the bloodstream and finally it is metabolized in the liver. The level of alcohol in the body is measured by the amount/weight of alcohol in a specific volume of blood. This is known as Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC).
BAC is measured with the help of a device called breathalyzer which measures the amount of alcohol in a person’s blood.
There are different factors that affect your BAC such as:
- Consuming alcohol on an empty stomach
- Whether you are male or female
- Your speed of drinking
- The type of alcohol you’re drinking
- The proportion of body fat
- Your metabolic rate
At the same time, the use of stimulants such as coffee may mask the impact of alcohol and make you appear more sober.
In most states, the accepted BAC is .08%. For commercial drivers, the accepted limit is .04%. If you face a DUI (driving under the influence) or DWI (driving when impaired) charge, your first step should be to get in touch with an experienced and well-qualified legal attorney.
DUI and DWI attorneys at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess in Midland and Odessa have more than two decades of experience in handling complicated drunk driving cases.
Benefits of Hiring an Attorney
Drunk driving is a serious offense and may impact your life in ways you may not be aware of such as loss of employment, critical financial setbacks, and disqualification from employment in certain jobs.
An attorney can make sure that you are well-prepared to defend your case in court. Also, your lawyer could help you complete all the necessary treatment programs required by the state in order to regain your driving privileges.
Consequences of DUI
If you get arrested for drunken driving, there are several consequences you may have to face that could cost you money. Fines and fees are just the beginning. There could also be expenses related to attending DUI schools, paying higher insurance premiums, and getting evaluated for drinking issues.
Here are some of the things you could expect when you get convicted for DUI:
- Arrest: When you get arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, you are taken to the nearest police station. In some states, you could be released instantly if someone comes and posts your bail.
- Losing your driving license: Even for a first-time conviction, the judge may order taking away of your driving license. There are some states where the driver’s license is suspended instantly even before going to the court.
- Fine: If you are convicted for driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, your sentencing will definitely include a fine. Every state has minimum and maximum fines for drunken driving. However, these penalties may be increased or decreased depending on other circumstances.
- Alcohol evaluation: After a drunken driving conviction, you may need to undergo alcohol education and assessment programs. In such programs, a trained counselor thoroughly evaluates your alcohol consumption pattern and whether alcohol affects other areas of your life.
Being charged with DUI doesn’t always mean you will get convicted. A DUI attorney has an in-depth understanding of all the nitty-gritties of the law and this helps them provide you with various legal defenses to contest DUI charges.
On the other hand, if you’ve become a victim of a truck or car accident caused by a drunken driver, the best option is to reach out to a skilled attorney. Many of the post-crash suggestions offered by an attorney can be helpful.
If you’ve suffered from a drunk driving accident, here are some of the steps that need to be taken immediately:
- Remain calm and assess all dangers: While it’s difficult, it’s crucial to remain as calm as possible. In the aftermath of an accident, if anyone has sustained injury, make sure you seek medical assistance immediately. Good medical advice will prevent any situation from getting worse.
- Ensure safety: It’s important to remember that a crash scene is prone to multiple dangers such as vehicle fires and collapse of metallic structures.To minimize risk of injury, turn off the ignition to prevent fire. Car passengers that haven’t suffered from any injury need to exit the vehicle immediately.
- Get in touch with the police: After a collision, it’s imperative that the police are notified. A police report is important evidence when you file a claim in court.
- Get details: Once a witness is identified, make sure that you obtain their full name, phone number, current address, current employer, and date of birth.
A Note of Caution: If you’ve become the victim of a drunken driving accident, make sure that you do not confront or argue with the driver. Most importantly, do not apologize or say sorry because such statements can be used against you in court.
Attorneys at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess have an excellent track record of resolving complicated drunken driving accident cases. Our legal representatives work on a contingent agreement basis which means that we receive payment from the client only when we resolve a case successfully.
CONTACT EXPERIENCED DRUNKEN DRIVING ATTORNEYS IN MIDLAND AND ODESSA AT THE LAW OFFICES OF L. CLAYTON BURGESS FOR A NO-COST CONSULTATION TODAY!
Our lawyers can also help you with:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Oilfield injuries
Don’t Delay! Call Clay!
Legal representatives at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess are readily available to assist you.
IF YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE IS IN NEED OF LEGAL ASSISTANCE FOLLOWING A DRUNKEN DRIVING ACCIDENT, REACH OUT TO US INSTANTLY!
Contact us today for a FREE review of your accident case. Most accident victims refrain from seeking the assistance of lawyers due to high legal fees. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means that you pay only when you receive a monetary compensation.
We take pride in a team of experienced legal representatives who are adept at handling complicated drunken driving accident cases.
Don’t Delay! You may have a valid claim! Let our attorneys in Lafayette help you get reimbursement before the statute of limitation expires!
Call A Drunken Driving Accident Attorney Today!
Driving under the influence of alcohol is one of the leading causes of car accidents in the United States.