Oil and gas drilling involves many different types of heavy equipment and materials. One of the most dangerous accidents that may occur on an oil rig involves falling equipment and tools.
Such incidents involve objects that fall from an unsecured height, thereby causing a safety hazard.
The following objects may cause injuries on the oil rig:
- Hand tools – Hand tools in the oil and gas industry are made of dense steel. This means that when it falls, it ends up creating a physical hazard. It is one of the most common causes of injuries on the rigs.
- Lifting devices – When objects are hoisted without being properly attached to lifting devices, it may lead to a falling hazard. Cranes, pulleys and even elevator platforms could result in falling hazards when goods are not adequately secured.
- Mounted equipment-Any equipment mounted at a height such as piping, cameras, lighting, and even rigging hardware may become loose and fall. This ends up creating a hazard to anyone standing below.
There are certain steps that workers need to take to prevent accidents from occurring. It’s important to wear protective gear, safety glares, and gloves. Here’s what you should do in order to prevent dropped object accidents:
- Have a site-specific group: Having a group which is part of the safety team is a good step for prevention. This group can specifically focus on the problem areas and create data. This data can then be used to train workers and reduce the number of incidents.
- Form an inventory program: One of the most reliable ways to prevent equipment and tools from falling is to carry out an inventory checklist that counts tools that are taken to elevated areas and re-counts them when they are returned after the work is completed. This will act as a check on tools being left behind and ensure better safety.
With adequate training and enhanced safety procedures, a majority of worksite accidents can be easily prevented.
If you or someone you love has become a victim oilfield accident, it’s best to seek legal advice. Legal representatives in Midland and Odessa at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess have several years of experience in resolving complicated oilfield accident cases.
Contact us for a FREE initial review of your case!
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN LAFAYETTE? REACH OUT TO US INSTANTLY!
Call our office today for a FREE initial review of your car accident case. Our legal representatives work on a contingent basis which means that our solicitors only charge fees when you receive your compensation.
Don’t Delay! You may have a valid claim! Let our attorneys in Lafayette help you get reimbursement before the statute of limitation expires!
Parties Represented by Personal Injury Lawyer Receive Nearly 3.5 Times More Money in a Settlement Than Those Without an Attorney.
– Insurance Research Council Study 2004